What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Monday, January 1, 2018

M50 part II plus "Now I get it"

Another chapter got added to the long and worthless battle of "I've been invalidated" this weekend.  To recap, we start with yet another attempt at trying to reason with a liberal whom I saw as a friend about his Tweeting of how our current President is a Nazi and he'll soon set up concentration camps.  But this time, in disputing him, I also somehow "invalidated" him by disagreeing.  I had thought, until now, that his concept of invalidation was because gee whiz, I wasn't as smart as him ("I am well-regarded in intellectual circles..."), which most people might look at and say, "Who's invalidating who?"



************************************

At this point I'd like to say, I hoped I took the high road-



...like the song Hope The High Road by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, which took this year's #40 position.  But alas...



...as Chicano Batman said in their #31 hit, Friendship Is A Small Boat In A Storm.


**************************************

So after e-mails trying to explain my side and calm things down were basically ignored, save for a lovely meme that re-iterated the accusations against me, I finally just cut the social media ties with him on Twitter and stopped following his blog, because eventually I was going to say something we would both find hurtful, and I didn't want to do that.  Then...

***********************************************



...no, we didn't have Cops Come, as the song at #37 by Northern Faces would say, but a woman "entered" the battle...



...and it wasn't a Girl With A Blue Guitar, like the one Cotton Mather sang about in their #38 hit.


******************************************

What did happen was, he had his wife "follow" me on Twitter, never really posting or even entering my feed.  Just watching, I guess, to see what I would do next.  So I left it sit for a while, waiting to see if a further contact would come- it did not- and so I saved us all a lot of problems and blocked her as well.

Or so I thought.

**********************************************


Diverging just a bit, I should mention that we had 3 songs in the fifty that carried over points from last year, two of which were last posts' Day I Left Home and PTP, which received minor points from 2016, but there was one major hit that had major points on both sides...



...The Shacks with the El Michels Affair and Strange Boy, which got the #9 slot in 2016 and gets the #39 slot for 2017! (BTW, I just realized that I'm typing this on NYE to post NYD, so I better be careful with my "this years" and "last years", because soon- for me- it will be next year!)  Anyway, so what did our "Strange Boy" do next?


*******************************************

Well, first, he had the Missus follow me on Google+, which is a place I am connected to because of all the Google-ly things I do but rarely go there.  Then he posted a little snippet on G+ himself.

Friends do not abandon you just because of a disagreement in opinions on political perspectives.
Eh, +CW Martin Chris Martin?

This despite an e-mail I sent him not long ago explaining how I missed when we actually acted like friends, and wished him the best.  Because I really do, but I can't and won't put up with the constant "poor me" when I disagree with him and accuses me of abandonment, along with being stupid and "invalidating".  I see as I grabbed his quote that he has issued yet another post accusing me of being the fake friend.  Good on ya, hopefully one day you'll get that mirror fixed.

But the point of bringing all this up is, I think I now understand how I invalidated him- and how I daily invalidate all the trolls on either side of the aisle out there.


*****************************************




Yep, I've got Your Type- the song by Alvvays, at #33 on the year's countdown.    And I hope I will no longer be riding in the same old...





...Chariot, which Beach House landed at #34.  But I do have a theory...


************************************

You see, I think that there are a ton of people out there who, at various levels, use politics as an outlet for the hatred that is inside them.  It doesn't even have to be directed at the people or causes they troll,  it's just the bone they chew to let it out.  And that is the sad thing about politics, and I suspect it is the way you always have had politics.  A small group in the middle actively trying to use the system to make a better life for EVERYONE- and surrounded on one side by people using it for various levels of hate-expression therapy, and on the other by those that actually hold the power- or think they do, or are hanging on to them like remoras for scraps- and whose only need for politics is to maintain their position of power.

So I guess that explains a lot.  I invalidated him when I exposed his hate for what it was, rather than the politics he perceived it to be.  I'm not saying he is a hateful person- I think a lot of such people don't even realize they are doing it.  I have seen it in myself and have been trying to eliminate it.  Which is why I cut ties in the first place- it was just a constant egging on of the parts of myself I am trying to get rid of, the parts that would just love to get rid of frustration and pain and anger by taking it out on him or any other comer.  I don't want that anymore, so I cut the ties.  For that, I am a "fake friend".


*****************************************



Yes, just like the one the Orwells sang about at #32, I was becoming a Black Francis- and I put a stop to it.



...and you might think that, like POWERS, that would make me want to Dance (#35) to the Beat Of My Drum (#36).  But...

**************************************************

But no, it just makes me sad.  I "invalidated" him by refusing to acknowledge the legitimacy of the hate he was directing (for this, I could point out a recent post of his- in fact, the reason why I went to the trouble of unfollowing him- where he called all republicans "racist, xenophobic" and something that equated to being Nazis with enough wiggle room to claim it isn't what he REALLY said.)    He spied me out out of bewilderment, because now he no longer had me responding to his hate-therapy. and thus, that meant I "abandoned the friendship" he was no longer showing anyway.


So let me put this to rest with one last thing.  I am still here.  I still pray for you, I still worry about you.  I never thought of you as invalid, but your opinions are poisoned with hate, or else you would have taken the opportunity to debate on policy any of the many times I opened that door.  They are beneath a thinking man like yourself, and I called you on it.  And if I had left the door open, the arguments would have escalated and left us both as less of a person.  I tried to get us back to a personal level and you IGNORED it, except for your cute little meme and your self-martyring statement that I posted above.  If you have any desire to do anything from here, you know my e-mail.  I am willing to be your friend.  I am not willing to be your therapeutic device.

9 comments:

  1. start with yet another attempt at trying to reason with a liberal...

    They say that one definition of insanity is performing an identical action multiple times and expecting a different result each time. Having a political discussion with a Liberal (moonbat, SJW, Progressive, etc.) fits neatly between the parameters of this definition. You ought to know better.

    ...he had his wife "follow" me on Twitter

    To see if you were doing what he would do, which would be defaming you with personal insults involving your moral standards and your lifestyle. When you failed to do so, you caused his eyes to cross and his blood pressure to skyrocket.

    Invalidate, defined:
    1. to render invalid; discredit.
    2. to deprive of legal force or efficacy; nullify.

    To be more precise, you were never invalidating him, you were invalidating his puerile, derisive political opinions and rejecting his ad hominem attacks. When you became frustrated enough, you politely severed social media contacts with him, thus relieving yourself of the agitation. I see nothing wrong with this, and my only thought is that you're a good deal more polite than I am, Gunga Din.

    I think that there are a ton of people out there who, at various levels, use politics as an outlet for the hatred that is inside them.

    Truth, there are. We see them every single day that we read the news, or read the comments on the news. They profess tolerance, and yet are violently intolerant of anyone who dares do anything except zealously support their fanciful, hate filled opinions.

    The man attacks you, then stalks you, then concludes that you abandoned him. He's neurotic with psychotic episodes; he'll try gas lighting next.

    You conducted yourself with admirable restraint. You done real good, CW. I like your conclusion about inner hatred and political opinion. Me, I think these people hate themselves, but since they can neither admit nor tolerate that, they transfer their self-hatred to the outside world.

    See you around the campus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris:
    ---When I have the (rare) occasion to TRY and have any type of discussion with a liberal (and believe me, I avoid them like the plague they happen to be), I always think back to the Glenn Beck Book: ARGUING WITH IDIOTS...lol. But, it's THEIR choice, not mine.
    ---I like the nice segues with the songs...well done.
    ---And by the manner in which you handled it, you're still taking the high road.
    ---Maybe friends don't abandon someone...but they ALSO don't resort to senseless name-calling, clandestine snooping about, or other liberal "traits" we've come to know and love (read ignore).
    ---Good point about hatred and politics...convenient (and seemingly ever-present) "whipping post", no doubt.
    ---I can understand the frustration and sadness...makes no sense.
    ---Makes you long for the days when we didn't give a rip ABOUT politics (and the fallout resulting from all the misinformation floating about).
    ---If anything, you're guilty of starving the beast of his hatred...not really a bad thing (imho).
    ---In the end, I think you handled this much better than I could have. It's provided me with some wisdom for the new year.
    And that's not a bad way to get things started for 2018...is it?
    Excellent post.

    Stay safe (and stay warm) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. I was conflicted about this because it really is a damn shame. But seeings as I was just the fake friend that never gave a damn when he was depressed to the point of suicide or upset over his blood sugar, I thought it would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are too many folk that live in the 'echo chamber' and are unable to be civil or even simply listen to others with the pretense of an open mind. Due to our increasing reliance on electronic communication, I fear it won't get much better, but appreciate your willingness to try to influence anyone to exercise their grey matter before the typing begins. Keep your heart up, enjoy your real friends and 'rise above it'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! And thank you for the wonderful advice. Means a lot.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes life is better when some people are not involved in ones life in any way shape or form, this can infuriate said people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too bad politics has come between so many friendships! "Live and let live" I always say. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and unless something truly offends me on a deeply personal level, I tend to let it ride. Life is way too short for that kind of stuff. I hope you and your "friend" can bury the hatchet. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think too many of us tie self-esteem to political ideology, and can't handle it when someone disagrees. I never have a problem debating issues on this page, but nobody wants to do issues, just sound bites.

      Delete