What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Let's get to the point....



This is the absolute worst way to have to do a 450th TM post.  Yeah, he wasn't a smooth, crooning vocalist.  His songwriting didn't produce the stuff of breathless romantic rhyme.  No, he was the guy you wanted to party with.  And we did, for a very long time.


When Breakdown peaked on Cashbox at #33 for three weeks, it had been on the charts for How Deep Is Your Love at the top, stopped the week Stayin' Alive was at the top, and that third week got leapfrogged by Night Fever.  Leapfrogged maybe, but not topped.  While it was at #33, TWO different versions of Theme From Close Encounters Of The Third Kind were above it.  Show of hands, those that know more than those annoying five notes of that theme.  Now, hands up those of you that could be wakened from a sound sleep and sing every word of Breakdown.


His last hit on Cashbox was in the last weeks of that magazine.  In fact, it was by then so feeble that it only published new charts on three of its six-week run.  The Macarena was at #2 still, as a summer of crappy music trudged into an autumn of worse.





Like many acts, I thought better of his older stuff.  It was his third lp, Damn The Torpedoes, that made his mark.  Every song released made you more excited than the last.  Unreleased songs rocked the radio as well, songs like Century City, What Are You Doing In My Life, and Even The Losers were almost as well known as Don't Do Me Like That, Refugee, and Here Comes My Girl.  All of us had DTT.  Like Rumours, or Hotel California, or Boston, it was ubiquitous.

After that, it was hard to get to that same level.  He hit a bit of a slump, as anyone would.  Argue with me if you like, you tell me which song you'd kick off DTT to add The Waiting.  But even a slump was better than most people ever achieved- witness You Got Lucky and Change Of Heart.


Then came inspiration renewed in the form of Jeff Lynne and the Travelling Wilburys.  Ironic that he is now the third of the five giants of the TWs-  fourth of six if you count Del Shannon, who committed suicide before he could actually join them.  Under Lynne's tutelage he blasted back to the top with Full Moon Fever.  A new generation of fans began their journey to adulthood with him, just as we had.  Into The Great Wide Open came next, and that new generation had their anthems- the title track, I Won't Back Down... Free Fallin'...




A last great burst of chart popularity (which does nothing to show you TRUE popularity) came in 1993-4 with Wildflowers, and Greatest Hits, which gave us perhaps the best of all- Mary Jane's Last Dance.  "Last dance with Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain..."



Today, I did one thing to memorialize him- I filled out my tally board with Tom Pettys.  But there was one line of lyrics that kept coming back to me... and I guess it made a better epitaph than I have...


Well it was kind of cold that night,
She stood alone on her balcony
Yeah, she could hear the cars roll by,
Out on 441 like waves crashin' on the beach
And for one desperate moment
There he crept back in her memory
God it's so painful when something that's so close
Is still so far out of reach...




8 comments:

  1. Chris:
    That was a wonderful tribute to a good writer and performer.
    Wifey remembered the Traveling Wilburys...and I liked that "group" as well.
    I mentioned the songs I liked at my blog, and to be honest, even though I said I was not a fan of his, I liked MORE of HIS songs than that of (Jersey boy) rocker Bruce Springsteen.

    Sure, his consistency was inconsistent, but about 80% of such acts usually are.
    Always sad to see a rocker from possibly the last, best era of that genre leave us.

    Excellent post.

    Stay safe (and rock on) up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lost a good one. Great tribute.

    Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  3. heard that Tom Petty died had no idea who he was

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little late to this, as I seem to get online very little these days, but this was a shock to me.

    I still thought his latter work was good-spent much of last week listening to his last handful (Hypnotic Eye, Mojo, Highway Companion, Last DJ, Wildflowers) in the changer on constant rotation.

    As you said, even his slumps were pretty darn good.

    While this did not hit me as hard as when Zevon passed, Petty was one of my favorites. I'm going to miss new music from him.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love All You Can Carry from HE. I need to go through the last album.

      Delete