What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 24, 2013

Like Father, like son

Today I did something that only Scrappy had done in this family before.  No, I did not eat poop, but it would have been more fun.  After several hours of a pain that felt like  (and this is NO joke) I had a kidney stone in my mouth, I had a bottom molar (#18 for you dentistry fans) yanked out this afternoon.  I had left work after an hour of only being able to stand it if I had water in my mouth.  After an hour at home waiting for 4 ibuprofins to kick in and do some good (which they did another couple hours later, as the dentist walked into the exam room), I called 1-800-TOOTHACHE and went to Afdent.

  Let me tell you, these are good people.  After numbing me beyond care and sticking some object the size of a stepladder in my mouth to hold it open, they then expanded it seven times its normal size and in the doctor and his lovely assistant went.   (I want you to know all descriptions of pain and horror are exaggerations.  These guys and gals knew their stuff and did it well.)  Then came intermittent shoving followed by the question, "Pressure or pain?", which was followed by the definite feeling of the new show Backyard Oil filming an episode in the center of the subject tooth.  Finally, after another little period of the dentist attempting the Wah-Watusi upon the fool thing (and me debating whether I should grab his arm and help push), the tooth came out.

Four hours later, I have about 95% feeling in my tongue and I can push it against my inner lip without it feeling like it's disappearing into the void.  My teeth no longer feel like foreign objects ( though my cheek still does) and I've had a rousing dinner of baby food, pudding, and cottage cheese.  And no pain, though I have medication sitting nearby, awaiting its chance to hop to it like a platoon of battle-hardened marines.

Luckily, though I might be falling apart, Laurie and I made something to close this post with actual entertainment.  Enjoy!


15 comments:

  1. awww how cute dad i miss u & <3 u ur punkinhead for ever :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This punkinhead is my daughter Shenan. Thank you for dropping by, punk, daddy loves you too.

      Delete
  2. Funny.

    Not a fan of having teeth pulled. Course, my only experience has been holding Oldest's hand while he had 4 of his pulled. My only other experience was when I had my wisdom's done... and I was knocked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 of'em? Wisdom teeth? I had that done at about 15- which would be about the last time I was at the dentist.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! I've been avoiding the inevitable here, too. I think our teeth should grow back like fingernails do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or else God should have made them invulnerable. Oh well, maybe on Krypton...

      Delete
  4. No fun that! I've spent a good chunk of my lifetime in dentists' chairs and haven't a tooth in my head that hasn't been drilled 'n' filled.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last time I went to the dentist for a simple extraction, it took four dental assistants, and TWO dentists from TWO different practices (they were across the hall in the same office building) to get it out. It was completely rooted and they didn't notice on the xrays. Yeah... that was just about the most traumatic experience I've ever been through. Even completely numbed it hurt. Needless to say I haven't been to the dentist since lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeesh, there but for the grace of God go I... no thanks!

      Delete
  6. Oh you poor thing. At least it is sorted now even though you will have some healing to do.
    Took ages for my last lot of dental work to settle and I am really hoping I dont have any more trouble for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fever finally broke about 1:30 Sunday morning and I do feel better. Of course, now I have to work on replacing the nutrition I missed...

      Delete
  7. YeGADS, this made my mouth hurt.
    I think I'd better go look for some floss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CWM:
    Yes, I detest dentists even MORE than I do all the locals infesting my part of the ghettohood (and that says something).
    I still have all my "wisdom" teeth, but I have to question their effectiveness whenever I look out my front door...LOL.

    Hope you're feekling better.

    Hang tough.
    Stay safe up there.

    ReplyDelete