What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Told Ya

Back on April 4th, I posted this about my Oakland Athletics:

And Oakland designates Jack Cust (AKA the guy who hit 60% of your HRs the last 3 years) for assignment (translated: dumps him) to keep roster room for Eric Chavez (AKA the guy whose allegedly bad back has limited him to about a week's work in those 3 years), Coco Crisp (AKA I got it, I got it... oops, I broke my pinky. I think I'll start the year on the DL), and Daric Barton (AKA I could hit my weight... if I was anorexic). Let's see. Dump Cust, let Adam Kennedy go, give the #1 and #2 pitching spots to 2 guys who pitched 0 innings last year, and fail to fire what may be the single most incompetant manager in franchise history. Yeah, we're trying REEEEEEAL hard to compete this year. Thanks Billy Beane. I hope your summer is all wine and cheeses too.

And yet, last night's A's win featured:

Jack Cust, DH

and I wondered why this was, and I found:

Cust now primary DH for A's: According to the team's official website, A's manager Bob Geren said Saturday that Jack Cust would become the team's primary designated hitter after Eric Chavez was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Cust went 0 for 2 with a walk on Saturday against the Giants.

And Eric Chavez is on the DL because:

DL stint could end career for Chavez: A's 3B Eric Chavez was placed on the 15-day disabled list injured once again, on Saturday, and acknowledges his career could be over. "It might be," Chavez said Saturday. "I don't know what the future's going to hold." Oakland placed its longest-tenured player on the DL because of what he called two bulging disks in his neck. The team referred to the injury as neck spasms and manager Bob Geren wouldn't speculate on the severity. The 32-year-old has been having spasms on both sides of his neck since getting hurt during a spring training drill in which a minor-leaguer collided with his right shoulder. The impact jerked his neck to the left in what Chavez described as a "whiplash" motion. "It was like playing pingpong," Chavez said of the spasms on either side. While he has been receiving regular treatment for the spasms, Chavez said he kept the condition between only himself and the training staff - not even telling Geren. A couple of weeks ago, Chavez pushed for an MRI exam because he knew he wasn't right. The results showed the bulges in the C6 and C7 disks.

Respect the manager much, Eric? (I know I don't.) So now, we have Chavez back in his accustomed DL slot and Cust back at DH where he belongs. All of which makes Geren and GM Billy Beane as candidates for the team's DA slot. I think we can all figure that one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment